Are Vans Vegan? Yes, Some Are.

I googled this query about Vans last night as I need a pair of some cool walking around sneakers.

Vans are the ones I want.

I like Vans because they signal to me visions of California, which is kind of like a fantasy for me, bringing to mind the extreme cool of the documentary I recently netflix instant-watched Dogtown and Z Boys— a highly recommended, awesome movie.

Were they wearing Vans as they made up an entirely new sport, and illegally skated in empty swimming pools? Probably.

But are Vans vegan? There is a lot of controversy on the internet about this.

They look vegan, being made out of plastic and canvas, but some have an unnoticeable leather trim or are made altogether from leather, so the jury was out.

Well, I  wrote to Vans Customer Service last night to settle the matter once and for all.

They told me:

Hello Victoria,

We proudly offer the following Vegan styles through our online shop
(shop.vans.com):

Classic Authentic Canvas
Classic Slip-on Canvas
Classic Zapato Del Barco Canvas
Custom Slip-on, Era & 106 Vulcanized (the Custom Old Skool is NOT vegan)
Era “Parra” – Limited Edition
Go Green Collection (Organic Canvas Styles) – Limited Edition
Old Skool Vegan (only if it states Vegan)
Rowley “Stripes” – (Synthetic Only) – Limited Edition
Sk8-Hi (True White)

Please note, we constantly refresh our styles, and unfortunately do not
maintain any inventory for items from past seasons.  If you see something
you like we suggest buying it now since we cannot guarantee that we are
able to make more.

So now we all know.

And now:

Here are my picks for the coolest vegan vans:

classic vans authentic: $42. Comes in a wide array of colors.

Classic Authentic slipons– $42. millions of colors and patterns. but of course the classic is checkerboard.

Custom Slip-on, Era & 106 Vulcanized (the Custom Old Skool is NOT vegan). Customize your own– totally awesome!!

Go Green Collection (Organic Canvas Styles) – Limited Edition

I will be adding Vans, with a link to this post, to my article “Where To Find Cool Vegan Shoes Online” for a good place to find cool laid back sneakers!

Tell me what you think of Vans? Would you customize or go checkerboard or just plain white? And have you see Dogtown and Z Boys?

9 Responses to "Are Vans Vegan? Yes, Some Are."

1. Daniel

June 8, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Thank you so much for this post!

• marthaflatley

June 9, 2011 at 12:50 am

you are welcome. so glad you found it helpful. That is what I live for lol!

2. Kia

October 12, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Vegan Vans !! What more could you want?! :)

3. Golden Pigeon

April 13, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Can you please delete this? Don’t know why that weird username came up above…. Thank you!

• marthaflatley

May 15, 2012 at 8:18 am

sure! thanks for the comment. I’m glad I could help! How bizarre about the user name!

4. Jacob

December 22, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Last I understood (being a Vegan and all), Veganism isn’t about slavishly avoiding animal products only. It’s about not contributing to the suffering of other sentient life in general. Given that: You should ask what their canvas is made of (cotton, linen, etc.?), where the company got that canvas if Vans didn’t make it themselves and how that canvas was made (possible inhuman labor conditions?) and how the materials that compose the canvas were produced (organic?).
    “I like Vans because they signal to me visions of California,” except that Vans aren’t produced in California anymore, which means that they MAY be produced through the utilization of labor under inhumane conditions, like I said above. “They look vegan, being made out of plastic and canvas,” except that plastic is a non-biodegradable substance; I’ve already covered canvas. Being non-biodegradable, it contributes to the destruction of the environment, destroying ecosystems (meaning NOT VEGAN) and the land that we utilize to cultivate resources.
    If you were a good vegan, you’d also be worried about the “rubber” soles. Being that they aren’t actually rubber, their production possibly requires the creation of chemical waste, which is either disposed of on land or in the water, again contributing to the death of ecosystems. Hard mode: What are the dyes they use to color the shoes? What are they composed of and how is the dye produced? Very Hard mode: V.F. corporation, the group that owns Vans, owns other companies that produces other, non-vegan things and by buying Vans, you essentially give money to a company that owns a company that makes non-vegan shoes. SO, essentially, you’re still buying non-vegan shoes. This one is kind of sketchy, because one could argue that buyer demand creates initiative among the company to produce more Vans, a “vegan” shoe, rather than other non-vegan products, but that isn’t a very strong argument. This argument also applies to Vans itself and not just the larger V.F. Corporation. One could argue that by buying Vans’ canvas options instead of the options that have leather creates initiative to produce more of those “vegan” options (which aren’t even Vegan, as I argue above) and less of the non-vegan options (which is ALL OF THEIR SHOES). My conclusion is that Vans are not vegan, at all. None of them.
    Think before you consume. Being a Vegan is about caring for life, from start to finish. Just because you don’t directly contribute to the suffering of sentient life because you avoid buying animal products and leather doesn’t mean that you don’t contribute in other, indirect, ways.

• marthaflatley

December 26, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Interesting points Jacob. I like how you define being a vegan as caring about life from start to finish. I never thought about it that way. I always thought about veganism using the philosophy of PETA: Animals are not ours to eat, wear, experiment on, use for entertainment, or abuse in any way”. So I usually only look for those things when buying stuff. I agree–vans is probably not an ideal company. They don’t even specify they are vegan so I don’t think they’re great. However, you might be interested in something I once read. hmm let me find it…Ok it’s long. it is called the derailing technique from the blog http://www.danceswithfat.com. It’s from a post called “plenty of problems to pick from”. The gist is that we don’t have to fix everything…we can choose to be an activist for 1 thing we care about and help out in that way. She says “I hope that you will not be dissuaded by those who try to tell you that your best isn’t good enough or that your problem isn’t big enough. It’s nobody’s job to address every problem that exists – none of us can do everything, but everyone who wants to can do something.” The whole post is really good. That being said I admire your comittment to do as much as possible for ending suffering. That is awesome. I am glad you commented on this, so others reading the discussion in the comments will be able to decide whether Vans is enough of a vegan shoe for them to want to wear.

blog post excerpted below:

One of the things about the interview that stuck out to me was a reminder about the derailing technique that people use when they say that you shouldn’t work on this problem because there are other problems. This happened a number of times in the segment and it’s something that happens to almost anyone who tries to make a change in the world or address a problem. People who do animal rescue are chided that they could be helping people. People who help starving adults are chided that they could help starving children. As I said in the segment, the fact that there are other problems does not negate the fact that this thing is also a problem. This is an extension of what I call “never enough” activism – the idea that no matter what you do it will never be good enough. In this version we are told that we shouldn’t try to solve a problem that we are passionate about because there are other, bigger problems in the world. This goes wrong because if we decide that we are all only going to work on the biggest problem, then what will actually happen is that we will spend all of our time arguing about what the biggest problem is. Also, let’s remember that the “bigger problems” may well be bigger because people were told that they shouldn’t bother to address them when they were small.

I’m telling you this by way of saying that I hope that if you want to get involved with activism you will pick a change, or a problem, that you are passionate about and work on that, whether by leading work or joining work. I hope that you will not be dissuaded by those who try to tell you that your best isn’t good enough or that your problem isn’t big enough. It’s nobody’s job to address every problem that exists – none of us can do everything, but everyone who wants to can do something.

“Plenty of Problems to Pick From” from Danceswithfat.com

5. Casey Penk

February 28, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Thank you very much for doing this research. Very helpful.

• marthaflatley

February 28, 2013 at 5:57 pm

you are very welcome. I appreciate you taking the time to comment and express your thoughts! It is what I live for–not literally, but I love it! Will you buy a pair of vans?