Once and For All, Are Converse Vegan?

Google the phrase “are converse vegan” and you will find a debate raging. There are many different ideas flying around out there.

I decided to attempt to resolve the controversy once and for all by writing to Converse and asking.

Their response:

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, we do not have any products that are certain to be Vegan-friendly. While the majority of our materials are animal-by-product free, the glue in our products can sometimes contain some animal by-products. So, it is not possible for us to advertise our products as being truly Vegan.

We apologize if this prevents you from being able to wear our product. We certainly hope it does not because there is nothing in the world like a pair of Converse shoes!

If we can assist you further, please let us know.

Jessica
Converse.Com
Customer Service

I found this odd however, because 1. it seemed kind of wishy washy…

“the glue can sometimes contain animal by- products” ?

If you remember my post “do shoes have animal based glues in them?”, my conclusion was “not anymore”. Was this wrong?

So I replied:

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for the response! I really appreciate it.
Do you have any idea what kind of animal by products are in the glue? I have done some internet research on the topic of animal glues and read some articles which say most glue nowadays is animal free, so I would be quite interested to know specifically what exactly animal by products in the glue means!
This would really be going above and beyond but I believe it would clear up a lot of controversy on the internet about whether converse are truly vegan friendly. If you google this topic there is a lot of contradictory information out there, so this would be MUCH appreciated!
Thank You!
I have not yet received a response yet…but I will certainly keep you updated if I do.
My conclusion on this matter:
Converse contain no leather products so in this respect they are vegan….
But if you want to get really technical…the glue may sometimes contain animal by products
The meaning of this needs further clarification, which I hope I will get from Converse.
Now you may ask why do I want to wear converse?
Well these are cool shoes…
iconic American shoes since the 1950s.
Let’s delve deep and pick up some inspiration through google images:
Actresses wear them. Check out K-Stew on the Red Carpet in them.
Musicians wear them. Check out The Strokes in them:
Former model/ TV Personalities wear them….Check out Alexa Chung:
Current models wear them. Check out Jessica Stam wearing them with socks:
Famous bloggers wear them, like Krystal Simpson:
And boys look really cool in them. So they are a great vegan shoe for boys…if you are down with the glue….
Thoughts?

30 Responses to "Once and For All, Are Converse Vegan?"

1. Rebekah

August 30, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Good work, detective! =)

While their vague answer is frustrating, I’m glad they’re being TOO cautious rather than not cautious enough.. I’ve read so many stories on The PPK about customer service reps saying “Yes, our product IS vegan!” and being dead wrong.

2. Laticia

August 23, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Thanks for posting this. I absolutely love converse for casual days but have stopped buying them because I cannot be certain that they are vegan. I am a little confused by some of the wording in this post… “so they are a great vegan shoe for boys鈥f you are down with the glue.” I think it is odd to refer to converse as “a great vegan shoe” when converse themselves have said that sometimes their glue might contain animal ingredients…that would make them NOT vegan by definition. Until we know for certain I think it is irresponsible to call converse vegan…and although I love them we should support other companies that make truly vegan shoes.

• marthaflatley

August 23, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Hmm good point. The last sentence is oddly worded.
      My conclusion was that converse is trying to cover their butts because they have no IDEA what is in their glue and are too lazy to find out. From my research online it seems that the consensus is that all shoes glues these days are synthetic and not made from animal products. I think converse is doing that thing that a lot of food companies do, where they say this products MAY have been packaged in a place with PEANUTS, FISH, SOY, and any other things people are allergic to, knowing full well that they aren’t, just to prevent themselves from getting sued by people with life threatening allergies. “MAY contain SOME animal BY-PRODUCTS?”….But you do have a point, that until converse will firmly SAY that the glue is synthetic (they never responded to my email) or even make any tiny effort to accommodate vegans, they are clearly not a vegan friendly company in the slightest. And if you feel inclined, by all means boycott them and write blog posts against them and I hope they notice and change their ways. I appreciate your comment…and you bring up very good points!

3. charlie

November 19, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Since shoe companies no longer use glue made from animals, would it be completely irresponsible of me to buy a pair? I agree that they are probably just too lazy to find out if the glue is vegan or not. The reason I want to buy some are because my school is strict on having plain black leather shoes, but plain all-over black converse are the only thing I can find that are close enough without being made fro leather. If I get some I’ sure my school teachers will understand, so should I risk the glue?

• marthaflatley

November 19, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Personally I would. I love that you are breaking the dress code to take a stand for animals. Great work!!

4. Becca

November 28, 2012 at 10:06 pm

You forgot about David Tennant and Matt Smith! My two favorite actors!

• marthaflatley

November 29, 2012 at 1:56 am

HA! I love it. I have been meaning to see what all this fuss about doctor who is. But where should I start? The beginning?

• G.

February 2, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Yes! The second “beginning” lol.
        The show first aired in the sixties, known as “Classic Doctor Who” or just “the classic series” (the Brits call each new season “series”…gotta love them!), which ran for about 26 yrs. (yes, THAT long), until the eighties. The show began again in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston as the new Doctor and Billie Piper as “Rose”, which was also the name of the first episode in the new series.
        PBS aired the first new season/series in 2008 (sadly, only that first season/series was aired on our local station; still, enough to fall in love with it and give me one more reason to MAJORLY <3 PBS). It then aired on SyFy (since gone). Now, you can catch new episodes/specials/reruns on BBC America OR go to Netflix and catch either all the classic series episodes (from the very, VERY beginning) or the episodes from the new series (from the "new" beginning).
        Enjoy! :-)

• admin

February 4, 2014 at 3:44 am

Thank you G. I have been wondering about this for a long time. That is so sweet of you, i appreciate your explaining Dr. WHO :DDD Thanks AGAIN!

5. Mike

January 28, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Great website! I was researching shoes for my documentary. I found your article very informative. I really need to look more into the glue though. Thanks for posting this.

• marthaflatley

January 28, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Thanks Mike. I love that you are making a movie about going vegan. That is so cool. Randomly, I am also 26. How is it going so far? Let me know if you need to know anything more about vegan shoes. TTYS! -Victoria

6. Pingback: BACK WITH A BANG! | HOW TO SURVIVE HUMANS AND EARTH

7. Saskia

June 29, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Unfortunately people who state that shoes companies no longer use glues derived from animals have completely missed the mark – almost all shoes that you would assume to be vegan (so canvas shoes for instance) are put together with animal-derived shoes. Therefore I, as a vegan, would not buy any of these shoes. Why would you look differently on the animals that suffered for the sake of the glue as opposed to the animals that suffered for the whole shoe!? Saskia x

• admin

July 2, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Saskia, I would be very interested to know how you know that the glues are animal derived. Everything I have read about it on the internet says otherwise–but of course…it’s the internet!!! So not necessarily to be totally trusted. I’d love to know what you know! And I agree with your basic point.

8. Pingback: Homepage

9. Pingback: Real Cowgirls Wear Vegan Boots | Salutations!

10. Franck Magennis (@FranckMagennis)

October 21, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Thanks for the very informative post. Have you any idea about the issue of sweatshop labour/treatment of workers? Seems that Nike have, at least historically, been implicated in scandals involving abuse of workers:

• admin

October 22, 2013 at 2:10 am

Excellent question–I don’t really know. I have read things that make me question being anti-sweatshop. Let me explain… in an excellent book, Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Ny times journalists Nicolas Kristof and Cheryl Wu-Dunn there is a part about how sweatshops actually give women in poor countries a way to make a salary and if they didn’t have their sweatshop job they would be forced to turn to prostitution which is like a death sentence there because of aids, to survive. Often when well meaning westerners campaign to close down sweatshops they are sentencing women to a fate far worse than they could ever imagine. However, I need to research this topic much more and thank you for the informative link!

11. Chris

April 8, 2014 at 3:07 am

Any further progress made with converse?

• admin

April 8, 2014 at 4:10 am

No, Chris. Should I ask them again?

• Gwenifer

April 9, 2014 at 9:30 am

Hi, please do, if it’s possible:) thanks in advance

• Chris Miller

April 9, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Please ask them again, yes, please and thank you! If you’d like to provide the email address of the last person you asked, I’d be happy to ask as well.

• admin

April 14, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Hi Chris, the email I used was estore@converse.com
            I’d love to know what they say to you about that. Maybe now the times have changed and they won’t give such a sketchy answer and then fail to follow up because veganism is more cool now.

12. Chris

April 15, 2014 at 1:24 am

I sent them an email today. Keep you posted.

• admin

April 16, 2014 at 10:27 pm

wow thank you chris! please do keep me updated. thank you!

13. Spicy

April 16, 2014 at 5:43 pm

I believe the info on Converse is outdated. They use all synthetic glues now.

14. Chris

April 17, 2014 at 2:50 pm

I got the same patented response from converse:

“Hi,

We apologize if this prevents you from being able to wear our product. We certainly hope it does not because there is nothing in the world like a pair of Converse sneakers!

Thank you for shopping with us and we do hope that you find something that you like and can enjoy!

Jessica S.
    Converse.Com
    Customer Service”

I sent a reply to Jessica, thanking her for her quick response but noting that her answer was somewhat ambiguous. I asked if she could inquire with her glue provider or if she could give me the contact info and I would inquire. Sent her that email 3 days ago – no response yet.

Keep ya posted!

15. Chris

April 18, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Just got another answer that isn’t really any clearer:

“Hello,
    Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately we have multiple glue providers which makes it difficult to provide the requested information. As mentioned in the email below, our materials are animal-by-product free, the glue in our products can sometimes contain some animal by-products. So, it is not possible for us to advertise our products as being truly Vegan. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We appreciate your continued support of the Converse brand. Please feel free to let us know if we can assist you further.

Ishmael
    Converse.Com
    Customer Service”

I will keep trying to get a clearer answer but the info doesn’t seem to be out dated if this is the same response we keep getting.

• admin

April 21, 2014 at 5:35 am

Wow, thank you so much Chris for doing this research. I guess that is slightly less vague. Congrats on getting past the first stock response lol. But on closer reading….the second email does not seem any clearer. Basically it seems they are saying they don’t know and haven’t taken the time to figure it out, because they’ve heard glues can sometimes contain animal by product. HOW short sighted of them not to get on the side of vegans as the tides turn and times change and society becomes more vegan friendly. Since as they repeat, their shoes are vegan besides that. They need to man up and ask the glue factories. Thanks so much for looking into this further, i and everyone who finds this post (one of the most popular on the blog so others are searching as well) will find this helpful!!

16. Pingback: Top 5 Places for Men to Find Cool Vegan Shoes | My Non Leather Life